Why Bats Hang Upside Down



First thing you need to know about bats is that they are mammals and not birds. With that being said, bats have weaker wings than birds so they are not able to take off from the ground fast enough to escape predators. Bats rely heavily on the use of gravity to take flight. The reason bats hang in such high places is so when they need to take flight they will just fall and with gravity pushing them down with such force, all they have to do is open their wings and they are already soaring with fast speeds.

Another huge reason why, is how their muscles in their body works. Birds are able to perch on a branch for so long, because they have a muscle that is connected to their talons. This muscle allows the birds talons to close when the bird is fully relaxed. So, while a bird in perched on a branch the talons are closed around the branch and the bird is using no energy at all. Bats have the same muscle, but it works in reverse. While a bat is hanging upside down, their talons are locked around whatever they are hanging from and they are exerting no energy at all. Bats could actually die upside down and they will continue to hang upside down until someone or something knocks the bat down.

I thought this would be an interesting topic to talk about, so I'm curious on what you guys have to say about it.

Comments

  1. I think this is a very interesting topic. I don't know anything about bats so this gave me some knowledge about bats. Plus it also deals with the virus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew this about bats, so this was interesting to know for me! I wanted to add something I do know about bats. If one is flying above you at night, and you throw your shoe up near it in the air it will fly directly towards your shoe and follow it almost all the way to the ground. I am not sure why they do this, but I have actually done it a few times and its pretty interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you related this to the crisis that's going on, it's like you brought light to topic. This was super informational and ties into the saying, "You learn something new everyday". First you mentioned how bats aren't birds their mammals, and now that I've come to think about it I've never really had a thought on what bats are. I never took the time to figure out if they're birds or not, so thank you for this topic and for making my brain work a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this, I never knew bats were so interesting. It's quite odd that they can just hang upside down without exerting any energy at all. Also, if I am being honest, I have always thought they were birds. Learing that they are mammals made them a lot more likeable (I've always had a huge fear of birds haha).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is super interesting because who would have first thought about writing about bats? Second I always wondered if the blood rushed to their brains or something like humans upside down. I don't know kind of an odd question. But this is really super cool to learn about. I especially found it really interesting that they can die and still stay hanging until something or someone knocks them off the branch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You pick a very interesting topic to describe in your post. You had a lot of information that i did not know. Also i was surprised that bats are not birds but are mammals. Even though they spend a-lot of time flying and hanging upside down, i'm not very interested in bats.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment