Vocabulary Crazy

During this semester we focus a lot on writing essays. In my personal opinion, I believe having a strong vocabulary can help you write a powerful essay. Using words that maybe aren't as well known can set  distinction and clarity while you try to organize your thoughts. While having a more complex vocabulary, you want to make sure you also clearly understand the definition or meaning of the words you use (trying to sound smart, doesn't necessarily make you sound smart). Familiarizing yourself with not only common words, but those that are infrequently used will aid in determining nuances. In simpler terms, being able to understand and use words that aren't as common will help you think better and make your papers sound and look smarter. Some of my personal favorite words that are uncommon would be ineffable and serendipity. Ineffable means too great to be put into words, and I tend to use this word when I describe something that I really love. Serendipity means happy coincidences, and I just believe this word is beautiful because of how many times in life we encounter scenarios that are unexpected and make us full of joy. Do you have any favorite words that may not be familiar with others? If so, what are they and why?


Comments